AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
AARP Foundation is AARP’s 501 c3 charitable affiliate. We are a public charity with revenue from federal agencies, corporations, foundations and individuals. AARP Foundation’s vision is a country free of poverty where no older person feels vulnerable. Staff are located in Washington DC and throughout the US.
Every year, AARP Foundation helps millions of struggling older adults 50 and over win back opportunity by being a force for change on the most serious issues they face each day. Through the Foundation’s many groundbreaking and innovative programs and services, we create and advance effective solutions to meet their basic needs for nutritious food, safe and affordable housing, adequate income and much-needed personal connections.
Responsible for business, operational effectiveness and financial analysis and support at all levels within AARP Foundation. Develops business analysis based on leading edge practices and sound customer, business and operational insights that significantly impact results across all areas of the Foundation. Creates and tracks key performance metrics as well as prepares management reports, quarterly operational reviews and conducts related ad hoc business analyses. Develops and maintains strong working relationships with internal customers as well as respective finance and operations cohorts to ensure a thorough understanding of all current and planned business activities and related impacts to financial projections. Identifies and communicates current and potential risks and opportunities (internal or external) that could impact operational and financial results for the Foundation. May support all areas of Foundation at various times including project work around government funded and internally funded programs, fundraising activities, and management functions. Reports to the VP, Finance and Operations.
1. Identifies, investigates analyzes and recommends alternative solutions to management regarding operational, management, financial and administrative actions/issues. Gathers, analyzes, reports, and maintains data, information, and statistical metrics from a variety of sources that support decision-making, including identifying relevant benchmarking tools. Consults with functional team members regarding a wide range of operational issues. Maintains documents associated with various projects and does version control as needed.
2. Responsible for business, financial and operational analysis and support for assigned departments and / or grant programs. Provides advice on effective use of resources and resolution of financial discrepancies, including deviations related to various reports.
3. Collaborates with members of Impact Investment Committee to support effective program related investment strategies for the Foundation.
4. Prioritizes projects and assignments efficiently and effectively. Uses business, technical, and educational experience to correctly evaluate the analytical output of others. Completes assignments in a timely manner, often while completing multiple projects with competing priorities.
5. Attend and participate in Enterprise-wide projects; stay abreast of new developments within assigned area of responsibility (such as: Business Continuity, Emergency Preparedness).
6. Key contributor for development of training programs for AARP Foundation staff and continuous focus on improving project management and business management competencies of internal staff.
7. Models AARP Foundation Core Values and Operating Principles
8. Demonstrates ‘One AARP’ attributes and behaviors in all interactions.
9. Other duties as assigned
Position requires technical business analytics knowledge in addition to a core competency in traditional finance and operational analysis. This is a highly challenging, complex role requiring advanced reporting and analysis skills coupled with an ability to effectively inform and communicate while meeting time sensitive objectives.
The position is responsible for ensuring implementation of policies and procedures along with the Foundation Finance and Foundation Operations teams. This position requires creative solutions and effective communication in an often challenging environment as well as customer friendly solutions for departments across AARP Foundation.
This position requires understanding of the connections between the Foundation and AARP. Works directly with others throughout the Foundation, AARP Financial Services, and other AARP units to ensure that work is done appropriately and that deliverables are met. The nature of this position’s interaction with the staff outside of the department is informative, coordinative and advisory in nature.
The position also requires a diverse set of business, financial, and interpersonal skills such as:
Ability to present clearly and effectively to all levels of the organization.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.