AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
AARP Foundation is AARP’s 501 c3 charitable affiliate. We are a public charity with revenue from federal agencies, corporations, foundations and individuals. AARP Foundation’s vision is a country free of poverty where no older person feels vulnerable. Staff are located in Washington DC and throughout the US.
Every year, AARP Foundation helps millions of struggling older adults 50 and over win back opportunity by being a force for change on the most serious issues they face each day. Through the Foundation’s many groundbreaking and innovative programs and services, we create and advance effective solutions to meet their basic needs for nutritious food, safe and affordable housing, adequate income and much-needed personal connections.
The Assistant National Field Director serves in a senior program position directing approximately one third of the Tax-Aide program, as it is implemented at 5,000+ site locations in 50 states and DC through a 35,000 volunteer workforce. The Assistant National Field Director oversees and directs assigned program areas to ensure growth, relevance, effective and efficient program delivery, return accuracy, compliance (Federal, grant and Foundation), security, etc. The Assistant National Field Director is responsible for evaluating current and proposed policy, procedures and systems, and determining and implementing changes based on field prospective, significant and varying data sources and critical grant and organizational compliance needs. The Assistant National Field Director works collaboratively with leaders in Tax-Aide (staff and volunteers), AARP Foundation Programs, and IRS Executives in the Field and National Office. This role is critical to identify and develop opportunities to expand the reach of Tax-Aide, devise successful implementation plans for the field, and oversee implementation to ensure success. This position builds and maintains ongoing relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders, at the national, state and local levels as needed to operate and pilot new strategies for increasing impact and/or integration.
The Assistant National Field Director works on complex problems where analysis of situations and varied data sources requires an evaluation of a variety of factors. Regularly communicates and collaborates with high level staff both internally and externally managing competing priorities to achieve successful partnerships. Responsibilities and work assignments contribute program goals, AARP Foundation’s and AARP dashboard goals. Exceptional organizational development skills in change management, team and leadership development, planning, direct management, communication and training to effectively manage approximately 11,000 volunteers in 22 distinct positions in five levels of hierarchy across the country from a distance with superior interpersonal and communications skills. Requires independent judgment, strategic evaluation, assessment, and recommendation, while sorting through a high degree of diverse, and non routine challenges, layers of management and data. Requires creative implementation of program development initiatives including but not limited to change management, team development and implementation, leadership development, training, multicultural outreach, integration opportunities etc. unique to the program.
1. Leads and manages approximately one third of the 35,000+ workforce of volunteers serving 2.6 million taxpayers. This workforce includes 8,000+ volunteer leaders managing four levels of volunteers in regional, state, district and local levels. .
2. Recommends, executes, and interprets national operational policies and procedures. Develops state strategies as needed to address states specific issues, requirements, and laws mindful of creating problematic precedent
3. Develops and implements effective strategies and confirm approximately one third workforce of 35,000+ in 22 different positions are effectively trained and carrying out their program responsibilities, especially leaders.
4. Anticipates and effectively deals with highly sensitive and non-routine field issues that could enhance the program’s opportunities or adversely impact programmatic outcomes, Foundation dashboard measures, or IRS grant compliance.
5. Leads implementation and recommend effective outreach strategies to grow the program, especially in multicultural communities, across the country while maintaining at 95% customer satisfaction rate. Establishes and maintains positive relationships with Federal and state government, community leaders, national/state/municipal social service personnel, national professional associations and other service providers as necessary in the management of the national field presence to increase program outcomes. Implement effective outreach and service growth campaigns in approximately one third of the national program.
6. Evaluates field performance on a continuing basis based on data, surveys and other tools, and provides critical feedback for modification of systems and/or implementation of new systems, processes and procedures to increase volunteer satisfaction, effectiveness and productively while maintaining compliance with grants and Foundation requirements.
7. Assesses and recommends opportunities to integrate and expand reach of Foundation’s work into new areas, especially multicultural outreach.
8. Routinely prepares accurate objectives, budgets, and projections for purposes of budgetary and financial reports, especially related to field expenses. with grant and funding requirements in critical business areas.
Demonstrates AARP Leadership behaviors in all interactions.
Bachelor’s degree in Management, Business Administration, Training, Communications, Organizational Development or a related discipline (Advanced degree preferred) and 10 (5 or more in management) years’ experience to include strong leadership skills, and judgment in leading, managing and supporting through effective motivation, communications and training a large workforce, preferably on a national or regional scale.
Experience with large scale business and program development and administration, strategic planning, staff and volunteer management, organizational and leadership development, communication, training or an equivalent combination of training and professional experience related to the duties of the job.
Familiarity with a variety of large scale national operations concepts, practices, and procedures and experience in conceptualizing and using research, surveys, financials, and other data collection methods to formulate effective business strategies and decisions.
Experience in training, especially web-based, using varied delivery channels in a large, non-standardized and decentralized environment. Superior interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work independently a must.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.