AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
State & Community Engagement (SCE) is part of Community, State and National Affairs (CSN). The SCE team includes: 53 states and territories across 6 regions with regional management, the Office of Volunteer Engagement, the Office of Community Engagement (including the National Retired Teachers Association (NRTA): AARP’s Educator Community), and the Legal Counsel for the Elderly (LCE).
-State & Community Engagement (SCE) enables AARP to be a nationwide organization, which strengthens our capacity to carry out our mission.
-SCE brings AARP closer to our members, people 50+, and their families, which allows us to listen - and respond - to their wants and needs that align with our mission.
-We drive an impact agenda, deepen relationships with key audiences & stakeholders, and build AARP's relevance at the community and state levels.
Contributes extensively to the AARP Massachusetts’ presence on digital and social media sites including Facebook, Twitter and other similar sites, posting on relevant blogs, and seeding content into social applications as needed and requested by state staff. In addition, the position will manage the state office’s global email strategy and ensure growth and congruence with overall digital communications goals and messages.
The position works in collaboration with entire state team to achieve strategic priorities by providing support for state and community operations, communications, and advocacy. In addition, the position provides digital media communications assistance to staff and volunteers and works seamlessly with the Communications ASD on developing and implementing the overall digital media strategy.
May perform a combination of the following duties described below depending upon assignment.
• Works with staff and volunteers in the state to develop and manage AARP’s presence on social networking sites including Facebook and Twitter. Creates and curates blog content for the state website and seeding content into social applications as needed.
• Manages the state office’s global email strategy and ensure growth and congruence with overall digital communications goals and messages involved in the delivery of AARP programs and activities and reaching and servicing AARP members.
• Analyzes digital and social media data, metrics and outcomes.
• Implements AARP digital (online) communications activities and assist in implementing initiatives and campaigns in the state.
• Serves as a member of the communications team and works in collaboration with the outreach and advocacy teams to further our work in the community.
• Disseminates information about activities related to strategic priorities in communities, including education and learning opportunities, and helps consumers better understand AARP’s work with various health and economic security issues.
• In collaboration with the ASD for communications, perform communications functions as assigned, including basic promotion of AARP, news releases, media advisories, assistance with advocacy campaigns, website and newsletter coordination. Makes presentations at workshops and conferences as appropriate. Provides assistance in responding to the media on strategic issues. Ensures AARP is seen as a visible force in community service and public policy development by educating staff, volunteers, members, government and elected officials, and the public.
• Works with national office staff to promote AARP’s strategic issues and priorities, programs, and activities, and to position AARP as a social media leader in the states.
• Demonstrates AARP Leadership behaviors in all interactions.
• Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and 3+ years of experience in managing social media accounts and related metrics.
• Solid writing skills and news judgment.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate well both written and orally.
• Working knowledge of social media platforms, especially Facebook and Twitter
• Interest in issues affecting the lives of people 50+, including housing, financial security, caregiving, health care, safe driving, and more.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.