AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of nearly 38 million that helps people turn their goals and dreams into 'Real Possibilities' by changing the way America defines aging. With staffed offices in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, AARP works to strengthen communities and promote the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare security, financial security and personal fulfillment. AARP also advocates for individuals in the marketplace by selecting products and services of high quality and value to carry the AARP name. As a trusted source for news and information, AARP produces the world’s largest circulation magazine, AARP The Magazine and AARP Bulletin.
Policy, Research and International Affairs (PRI) serves AARP by leading the development and articulation of AARP’s public policies, research and insights on the 50+ and issues that matter to them, importing best global practices, and strengthening AARP's reputation for world class expertise and thought leadership.
AARP Research is an integral part of Policy, Research and International (“PRI”) which includes AARP’s Thought Leadership group, the Public Policy Institute, the Office of International Affairs, and the Office of Policy Integration. The Vice President (VP) of Consumer Insights will lead a department with the larger Research organization of several issue-focused teams – financial resilience, health security, personal fulfillment, strategic & local issues, and brand and membership – comprised of highly skilled researchers working on a broad range of complex, prominent and high impact projects. The VP will shape and direct an agenda for the department focused on high ROI research that yields actionable insights and fosters innovative thinking about our consumers, both today and tomorrow. While insisting on the highest standards in conducting research and driving the growing reputation of AARP Research as a respected source of data and insights on the 50+, the VP will also be focused on driving a culture of curiosity and innovation within Research to bring in new methods and approaches for gathering and conveying complex consumer insights. As a key ambassador for AARP Research both internally and externally, they will be passionate about insights that drive impact and innovation and will facilitate strong client relationships and an external network of partnerships.
The VP of Consumer Insights will be responsible for:
• A strong critical thinker and innovator who can effectively drive high impact insights within a team of experts, and who can foster the delivery of clarity and direction from an often ambiguous and complex consumer space;
• A strategic thinker that can align the Consumer Insights department’s focus, efforts, and resources with the organization’s broader goals and strategies, and play an active role in decision-making and thought leadership across the organization;
• An inspirational team leader that will focus on talent development and building the capabilities of the Consumer Insights team, fostering an environment of professional growth and intellectual excitement;
• A proactive leader that will make sure the Consumer Insights department is known and valued for subject matter expertise, innovation and effective methods, objectivity, actionable storytelling, business acumen, strategic mindset, thought leadership, and a passion for change; and
• A dedicated collaborator, who will work closely with the SVP of Research and the VP of Strategic Research Resources to ensure the success and impact of the Research group.
The VP provides direct management of AARP employees including, but not limited to:
• Conducting regular one-on-one meetings to assign, manage and review individual work;
• Organizing team meetings to communicate critical departmental and organizational information;
• Facilitating the annual performance management cycle, including performance and development assessments and conversations;
• Directing ongoing recognition and compensation, as well as annual merit and incentive planning decisions;
• Enforcing compliance with all enterprise policies and guidelines, including timesheet review and approval;
• Partnering in the recruiting process; and
• Managing enterprise assets and budgets; and Addressing employee relations and performance issues with timely engagement of HR Business Partner.
Operates in an environment requiring adaptation and agility with managing change. This position requires a high degree of innovation and conceptualization, balanced with a focus on execution.
Reports to the Senior Vice President of AARP Research. Interacts frequently with PRI leadership, PRI staff, and AARP’s leadership team. This position must be able to balance priorities and demands in a collaborative and authoritative manner.
• Direct responsibility for effectively managing team’s operating budget including compensation and operating expenses.
• Accountability for making day-to-day decisions.
• Accountability for cooperating and collaborating with other PRI leaders.
• Accountability for execution of committed work efforts and adherence to agreed quality guidelines.
• Dedicated focus on continuous improvement with clear responsibility for maximizing value of AARP Research to PRI and the AARP enterprise.
• PhD, MBA/MA or Bachelor’s degree in the social behavioral sciences, market research or related discipline
• 10 years relevant experience
• Thorough knowledge and command of research methodologies, techniques, and processes.
• Passionate about the pursuit of information and insight through public-opinion and marketing research.
• Strong understanding of financial planning and budgeting processes.
• Proven leadership skills and a management style that is effective with leading and developing highly skilled team members
• Self-awareness, emotional maturity, and a demonstrated ability to connect authentically with others.
• Excellent oral and written presentation skills with the ability to convey key takeaways simply and visually.
• Ability to understand and interpret the needs of target audiences, member segments and marketplace trends relevant to AARP.
• Ability to adapt to AARP's organizational culture.
• Creative and strategic thinker with a passion for excellence and continuous learning.
• Ability to demonstrate outstanding morale and team building skills.
• Ability to maintain a strategic view and enable others to share it.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.